Horizen PSA: Scammer Awareness
Dear community, over the last couple of months we have noted an increase in scams that target our community members. We want to ensure that everyone has the knowledge and tools necessary to combat attempts to steal their ZEN.
It’s easy to catch a scammer if you know what to look for. Here are some easy guidelines to tell if it’s a scam and what to do if you’re faced with one.
How to Spot a Scammer
The person or account is:
- Asking for private keys or funds
- Contacting you directly to download an “update”
- Sending you links that are spelled incorrectly
- They use the name “Horizen” but the name is spelled incorrectly. I.e. Horizén, Horizon, ZenCash Oficial, Horizen Officiall, etc.
Tips for Avoiding Scams
- We will never ask for funds or private keys. Never share private keys with anybody.
- Question it if you don’t see it on the official Horizen Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, or LinkedIn
- Horizen team members should have their tag and the team they work on in their name on Discord
- Check if the account that is sharing updates is on the team in the sidebar on Discord. Team members have orange or purple names.
- Add the Horizen GitHub to your favorites
- Check that the Windows/Mac release is code signed with a certificate belonging to “Zen Blockchain Foundation”
- When in doubt, the easiest and safest place to ask for helps is our Helpdesk
What to Do if You See a Scammer
Report the scam account to the team immediately.
Our #Moderation channel on Discord is a great way to report scammers. Our team will work quickly to remove these accounts and warn others in the community.
Follow Horizen Official Accounts
The best way to avoid scammers is to follow our official accounts. Scammers often use fake accounts to trick people. Pay close attention to the username of the account to make sure it’s the Horizen official account. You can find as at:
- @horizenglobal on Twitter
- Horizen Zencash on Facebook
- @horizenglobal on Instagram
- ZenCashOfficial on GitHub
or follow our official news channels
When you need any help with Horizen products or services, the best way is to contact our Helpdesk directly.
We want to thank everyone for reporting scammers and helping us maintain the integrity of our community!
And as always, be sure to follow us on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook to stay up to date on the latest news.