Horizen Mandatory Software Upgrades: ZEN 2.0.16 – SUCCESSFUL!
Updated Jan 29th, 2019 – We are proud to announce that we have successfully completed the Horizen hard fork!
The mandatory network upgrade successfully occurred at block 455555, on January 29th. We would like to thank all exchanges, partners, mining pools, node operators, and full node wallet users for the continued support and for upgrading to ZEN 2.0.16.
ZEN (2.0.16) was released on January 2nd, 2019. This new release replaced the old version, ZEN 2.0.15, which was set to deprecate (no longer run).
The major focus of the new version is the introduction of a new shielded transaction (type: -3) that replaced the old one (type: 2). Type -3 uses a new Zero Knowledge proving system based on Groth16, which brings significant benefits compared to the old circuit. The benefits include more robustness, more speed in making the proof and verification, and reduces memory usage. This change is the first step towards supporting/integrating Sapling.
A special thanks to all the pool operators that tested the mining software compatibility on the testnet in advance.
The update also modifies the block mining reward allocated to the Horizen Treasury, increasing it from 10% to 20%. This allows Horizen to enable sustainable operations and keep striving to achieve our key strategic objectives that give Horizen value. You can learn more about this strategic action here HERE. The new block reward is now split as follows:
- 10% to Secure Nodes
- 10% to Super Nodes
- 60% to Miners
- 20% to Treasury
UPDATES ON ZEN 2.0.16
- New shielded transaction (type: -3) replaces the old one (type: 2).
- New zero knowledge proving system: from the old protocol to Groth16.
- Better performance: more robustness and more speed in making the proof and verification.
- Increasing the Treasury pool from 10% to 20% of block rewards.
- The new 2.0.16 version was released here: https://github.com/HorizenOfficial/zen/releases
- Alternatively, the new 2.0.16 version was also made available through the APT repository: https://horizenofficial.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/ZEN/pages/136872130/Upgrade+zend+daemon+using+apt
Please let us know if you have any questions. Thank you for your continued support!